Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Why I can't write recipes...

Okay, here's what happened:

I had some overgrown zucchini and always wanted to try stuffed zucchini. I'd looked at a few recipes but never had anything reach out and grab me. So...

a small head of cabbage (from the garden) chopped fine
1 onion, chopped fine
1/2 lb ground venison
1/2 a jar of pizza sauce
about 1 cup hot dog chili left from a cookout
1/4 green pepper (it was stuck in the fridge door looking sad)
4 or 5 black olives (last of a can in the fridge), chopped
1 carrot, shredded (they were very tired)
a healthy shake of cajun seasoning
4 oz shredded cheddar cheese
And enough rice to kinda hold it together (maybe 2 cups???)

I stuffed all that into a zucchini that I cut in half lengthwise, hollowed out and sprayed with olive oil.

I baked it at 350 for about 30 minutes, then sprinkled more cheese on top (operating on the theory that if you put enough cheese on anything , it'll taste better!) and stuck it back in the oven long enough to melt the cheese topping.

It was really tasty. But, as I explained to my husband, it wasn't likely I'd have that combination of items again.

So....

Last Saturday I did it again but this time I used:

1/2 lb breakfast sausage
pieces of three differnt kinds of onion, chopped
1/2 head cabbage, chopped fine
the insides of the zucchini chopped fine
a package of sliced portabella mushrooms that had seen better days, bigger chunks
2 T (or so) buffalo wing sauce
1 carrot shredded (much nicer on this time!)
4 oz "pizza" blend cheese
a couple cups rice
A healthy shake of chicken jambalaya spice (it was the firs tthing I grabbed...)

Put it all in the hollow zuke, baked at 350, and when I took it out the first time I put a couple slices of provolone cheese on top.

It was equally delicious.

THEN -

I had a ton of the mixture left, so for dinner last night I added:

1 lb ground venison that needed to be cooked
1 t chili powder
1 can pinto beans, just because I wanted beans in it
1/4 can Hunt's spaghetti sauce (my daughter used the other half)
1/4 cup or so of hot taco sauce from a jar

Got that all hot, put some shredded cheddar on the center of a flour tortilla, put a heaping spoon of the stuffing on that and rolled up burrito style. Repeat 6 times.

The 'missing' 1/4 can of spaghetti sauce was mixed with a little more taco sauce then some was poured in the bottom of a baking dish. The burritos were next, followed by the remaining sauce, more shredded cheese and voila!

Into the oven at 350 for maybe 20-30 minutes (all is cooked, we're just getting hot at this point)

Serve with sour cream on top.

Awesomely good!

THEN....

I had a ton of the filling left over.

And here we are.

I will probably either mix it with a binder (think sour cream or canned soup or something like that), add some veggies, and bake as a casserole with *still* more cheese on top.

OR I could layer it between the last three tortillas (lasagna style - with maybe some slices of zucchini) and bake - with cheese of course.

If it were winter I'd thin it with beef or chicken broth and make soup. If there was soup left, I might add more rice and a binder (as mentioned above) to make (yet another) casserole.

Who knows, the last of the casserole might even find its way back into a zucchini...

And THAT'S why I can't write recipes!

No comments: