Monday, May 21, 2007

Musings from the Interstate pt II

Okay, Starbucks is in no way frugal, but it's a dirty little secret of mine that I could drink their coffee three times a day, every day, and not get tired of it.

While on the road-trip to Georgia I got to indulge in my addiction. My validation was driving 9 hours each way we needed sustenance in the form of massive doses of very expensive caffeine.

Anyway, at the Starbucks we visited in Columbus, GA there was a large basket outside the door with large bags of used coffee grounds inside. The information on the bag suggested using these grounds in your compost pile or mixing them directly into your garden soil.

Did I mention the bags are free? How cool is that?

It's a small thing, I know. But I belong to the "every little bit helps" school of frugal/simple living. I really like the idea that the company decided to rebag the grounds and offer them to customers, instead of just tossing them in the trash.

Yes, I brought home a bag of "genuine Starbucks coffee grounds" for my compost pile. I've got plenty of coffee grounds of my own in there. A few more won't hurt.

Check your local store to see if they have bags of grounds to give away. Especially if you aren't a coffee drinker.

If you happen to be an addict like me, you might want to get someone else to pick them up for you. Too easy to slip inside for a caramel macchiato...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you have a Starbucks card? If so, you can register it online - you can get free syrups, refills, and soy milk subs, which are each 30 - 50 cents. Also, if you lose the card they'll reimburse you for the amount that's left on it. I just started working there and didn't hear about the program until recently, so I thought it was really cool! Just thought I'd pass along a tip to a fellow frugal-liver :)