Friday, May 25, 2007

It Ain't Easy Being ... um... Frugal

As I stood under the awning of our office drinking coffee laced with gourmet creamer ($2.99), out of my new "Army Mom" coffee mug ($5.95) and smoking a cigarette ($2.75 +future health costs), it occurred to me that I might be throwing big rocks from my glass house.

What I mean is, you only get to read what I want you to read. I can make it seem that I'm a green-living frugal fanatic. And I am.

To a point.

I'm also a pedicure fanatic. And I take showers that last too long. I buy some of my clothes new (albeit on sale - well, usually on sale). I have a shoe "problem" that borders on an addiction. I have a room full of crafting supplies that I rarely use because they are so disorganized.

In fact, I am so frequently disorganized that I have bought at least three pairs of tweezers in the last 12 months. And don't get me started on hair bands and scissors...

I share these non-tightwad truths with you for two reasons:

  1. So you will see that I'm a real person trying real ways to save money and live comfortably at the same time.
  2. To remind you that no one is perfect when it comes to living frugally/simply/greenly.

**Editor's note: If you are perfect please do not post a comment to that effect. You'll only make everyone - including me - feel rotten. Bad karma, don't do it!

Like so many things in life, your heart may be in the right place before the rest of you gets there. And you will get there. Slowly and surely.

Ease yourself into living simply. Make conscious decisions about the money you spend and the material goods you choose to have in your life. Cast off the things that don't make you fabulously happy. Then , if you still need to cut back, peel off the next layer.

Just remember that some of us have a lot of layers. Be gentle with yourself. And others.

This blog reminds me as I remind you - We can all do more.

I'll do better tomorrow. And if I ever make it to "perfect" frugality, you'll be the first to know...

No comments: